Quad Operator v1.0.4 firmware update

OSX Catalina. Getting this output. Was I successful in flashing newest firmware? Just got my quad operator last week. Amazing so far.

Lights come back on and it seems to be operational.

Copyright 2005-2008 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2012 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to dfu-util@lists.gnumonks.org

Filter on vendor = 0x0000 product = 0xdf11
Opening DFU capable USB device... ID 0483:df11
Run-time device DFU version 011a
Found DFU: [0483:df11] devnum=0, cfg=1, intf=0, alt=0, name="@Internal Flash  /0x08000000/04*032Kg,01*128Kg,07*256Kg"
Claiming USB DFU Interface...
Setting Alternate Setting #0 ...
Determining device status: state = dfuERROR, status = 10
dfuERROR, clearing status
Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0
dfuIDLE, continuing
DFU mode device DFU version 011a
Device returned transfer size 2048
No valid DFU suffix signature
Warning: File has no DFU suffix
DfuSe interface name: "Internal Flash  "
Downloading to address = 0x08000000, size = 120184
File downloaded successfully
Transitioning to dfuMANIFEST state
Error during download get_status

Yep! This line in your output is the key indicator.

Glad you’re enjoying it!

1 Like

Hi I just tried updating my firmware today and have been struggling for hours to get it to work :frowning:
I have tried multiple usb cables on multiple machines and nothing seems to work.
I have also tried both methods on windows.
When I connect the usb when it’s in normal power on state it says usb device malfunctioned, in the sysboot state it makes the usb connected noise but never shows up in DfuSe. You say fiddle with the usb connection and I have fiddled but I’m worried about breaking the usb connector on the module, and I’m also not sure what I’m waiting for to happen when I’m fiddling, should the device just show up in DfuSe or do I need to restart the program or module?
The other method gave me more hope, the STM32 bootloader shows up in Zidag and I replaced the driver succesfully but when running the script it just closed without saying anything. I opened up cmd and did it manually and it can’t connect to the device.
This process has taken way too long and has been a pain so I’ve given up for today but any idea on how to get it to work would be appreciated.
What firmware does it come with from the factory? Is it that bad if I don’t update?

I am having the same problem on Windows 10. I can see the STM32 bootloader in device manager, but the DfuSeDemo doesn’t see the device in the app. After some digging, it appears the DfuSeDemo is depreciated and does not run in Windows 10 anymore.

UPDATE - I was able to find out the SetupSTM32CubeProgrammer app does work on Win10, and will connect to the Quad Op. Unfortunately, it no longer supports .DFU files. HOWEVER, it will take a .bin. Which I found in the Quad_Operator_v1.0.4_update.zip script set files under the windows/firmware folder. Then used the SetupSTM32CubeProgrammer to download the bin and all seems to have worked, I guess. If someone could confirm, that would be great.

Hi,
I’ve just purchased a quad op module (new from Juno, UK) but am having problems doing the firmware update. I’ve tried both methods on a win 10 pc to no avail. It never sees the device in zadig or dfusedemo or st32cubeprogrammer. I’ve switched to a mac to try it but can only get as far as this message -

Filter on vendor = 0x0000 product = 0xdf11

Opening DFU capable USB device… ID 0483:df11

Run-time device DFU version 011a

Found DFU: [0483:df11] devnum=0, cfg=1, intf=0, alt=0, name=“UNDEFINED”

Claiming USB DFU Interface…

Setting Alternate Setting #0

error get_status

Determining device status: logout

Saving session…

…copying shared history…

…saving history…truncating history files…

…completed.

[Process completed]

Note that I get a different error (no DFU device on USB) if the quad op is in normal operation mode so I don’t think it’s the cable. This is on 2019 imac running Mac OS 11.6 btw.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

UPDATE: Got it working (I think!). Tried it again on the PC but this time I held the sysboot button as I powered up. This then allowed me to see it in STM32 Cube Programmer and Zadig (though not the DFUSEdemo program) and I could run the cmd file to update. I think it would also work in STM32 Cube Programmer by using the bin file as mentioned earlier in the thread but I didn’t need to do that in the end. So for anyone having similar issues, rather than follow the instructions of connecting usb then power then pressing sysboot & reset, I had success connecting usb then holding down sysboot as I powered up.

EDIT: no longer need help, got it to work after following Cain777s method at the bottom of his comment. I similarly could not see it listed in DFuse, even after having powered it with a ribbon cable but the zadig+.cmd script worked fine. A small request - you might want to add that “connect via ribbon power” information under the DFuse instructions as well (if dfuse still works for anyone, idk) as its currently only listed via the Update Script Method set of instructions, so if someone is trying to follow along via the links provided like I did they might not realize they need it connected via ribbon power. I’ll keep my original post below here, maybe this will somehow be helpful to someone else in the future

Is this thing supposed to be plugged in via the eurorack ribbon cables while trying to do this? I dont want to connect it like that and ruin my module or get a zap if its not supposed to be.

I am having some trouble updating the firmware:

1. I am following the DFuse process but the unit does not show up.

2. I have connected the unit to my PC with a microusb cable (i know itworks and does data transfer I use it for my astro headset/mic). When I plug it in there is no indication of a new connection on my windows 10 pc, nor is there any sort of indication on the module that it is connected/powered (all lights off, no blinks or anything)

3. I try the process as described - hold in sysboot and reset buttons, then let go of reset, wait a second, then let go of sysboot (how long should I have been holding these? ive tried 5 seconds, Ive tried 20, ive tried 30)

4. Device still not showing up in DfuSe, still no indicators it is on or responsive.

Thank you for posting about your experience.

Regarding “I had success connecting usb then holding down sysboot as I powered up”, is the next step to push sysboot & reset buttons, releasing reboot a second before releasing sysboot?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards