Quad Operator 1.0.2 firmware (was: Shape 1 input affecting oscillator 3 pitch)

I’ve been having a lot of fun with this module but unfortunately this evening I’ve discovered an issue that was interfering with my patch.
CV into the shape 1 input is somehow affecting oscillator 3’s pitch. I’ve recorded a video demonstrating the issue which I’ll try to link to here.
As I hope you can see in the video, all mod pots in the matrix are fully CCW.

Thanks for the issue report. Sorry to see that you’re having problems with your unit :frowning: We take these seriously and warrant all purchases. If you’d like to process a replacement or return, we recommend working through your retailer with whom we can batch up and process any returns behind the scenes.

We are investigating a couple of similar reports, but this one feels somewhat different to those. If you would please answer the questions below, it may help us to determine the cause of the issue and appropriate resolution (including a replacement or return).

  • I take it this behavior is consistent after power cycling the unit? (Some reports indicate intermittent issues that are resolved by power cycling the unit)
  • Are other CVs and knobs behaving as expected? If not, can you provide further examples?


Hi Will, thanks for the quick reply.
The issue remains even after power cycling.
I’ve not yet found any other issues with the module, I can’t claim to have tried every possibility though.

1 Like

Thanks, matkins. One question for you—do you know for certain that the total current consumption of the modules in your rack is within the available amount of current provided by your rack’s power supply specification?

Yes, I tested this last night by placing the module into an empty mantis rack. The behaviour of the fault was exactly the same.


We’re nearly ready to make this release candidate the official 1.0.1 firmware update! In the process of testing the update, we received some good feedback that the instructions as written in the manual are difficult for some. To that end, we’ve put together a hopefully simplified update package. We’d love your help testing it out! Here’s a draft of the new update instructions with a link to the new update package:

In particular, as a Mac user, I am not currently able to test the Windows update as I’m traveling right now! Windows user: please give it a try and report back whether it works properly!

Apologies the long delay–I’ve been quite ill these past few weeks and wanted to be careful that I didn’t screw up another firmware update before shipping it out to you! Here’s 1.0.2 which resolves the shape CV problem reported on this thread, and the tracking problem created in 1.0.1:

Again, appreciate reports from Windows users that the update script works properly!

I’ve just updated my firmware… well, I think I have.

One thing in the instructions is a little confusing. I assume that once the SYSBOOT button has been held for a little longer than the RESET button it can then be released? Otherwise all activity would need to be one handed. But I’d like to be sure.

My procedure was.
Power down.
Connect USB.
Press both buttons.
Power up.
Release RESET.
Release SYSBOOT.
Run Command.
Power down.
Disconnect USB.

There a re a couple of error notes in the Terminal dialog box. Are these a worry? I know nothing of these protocols. Here’s the text.

Last login: Mon Sep 2 13:55:14 on ttys000
Lloyds-MacBook-Pro:~ lloydcole$ /Users/lloydcole/Music/studio\ documents/Humble/quadop_v1.0.2_update/Mac/update_quadop_v1.0.2.command ; exit;
:/Users/lloydcole/Music/studio documents/Humble/quadop_v1.0.2_update/Mac/lib
dfu-util 0.7

Copyright 2005-2008 Weston Schmidt, Harald Welte and OpenMoko Inc.
Copyright 2010-2012 Tormod Volden and Stefan Schmidt
This program is Free Software and has ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
Please report bugs to dfu-util@lists.gnumonks.org

Filter on vendor = 0x0000 product = 0xdf11
Opening DFU capable USB device… ID 0483:df11
Run-time device DFU version 011a
Found DFU: [0483:df11] devnum=0, cfg=1, intf=0, alt=0, name="@Internal Flash /0x08000000/04032Kg,01128Kg,07*256Kg"
Claiming USB DFU Interface…
Setting Alternate Setting #0
Determining device status: state = dfuERROR, status = 10
dfuERROR, clearing status
Determining device status: state = dfuIDLE, status = 0
dfuIDLE, continuing
DFU mode device DFU version 011a
Device returned transfer size 2048
No valid DFU suffix signature
Warning: File has no DFU suffix
DfuSe interface name: "Internal Flash "
Downloading to address = 0x08000000, size = 120056

File downloaded successfully
Transitioning to dfuMANIFEST state
Error during download get_status
Saving session…
…copying shared history…
…saving history…truncating history files…

[Process completed]

Hi Lloyd,

Yes the errors are misleading but not a problem. The key thing to observe in the terminal transcript is toward the bottom:

Downloading to address = 0x08000000, size = 120056

File downloaded successfully

I’ll be providing better instructions soon.